Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Jamie's Hair

When Jamie #1 arrived home in September 2014 one of my first dilemmas was finding the perfect wig. I had 2 choices for him originally, an Iplehouse wig in the Sienna color that I had ordered specifically with him in mind, and a curly mohair wig that had been in my wig bin a while, and was used by another doll occasionally. The first picture here is in the Iplehouse wig. While I liked it, it just didn't feel 100% right.
 Below is the second choice, the curly mohair that I had on hand. This one worked a bit better for what I had in mind, and I have used it quite a lot for Jamie, and still do on occasion, but it still wasn't exactly what I wanted.
In late 2015, when I received the wedding outfit for Jamie I wanted something a little closer to how Sam Heughan's hair appeared in the Wedding episode of the TV show, so I sent the picture below to Chewin, who is not only a superb tailor (he actually made the vest and coat in the second wig choice  pic above here, and the coat in the first picture as well), but he makes awesome wigs. I had commissioned him on a wig for one of my dolls in the Brotherhood series, and I knew he had the Iple Leonard sculpt (which is what Jamie is) so I sent him the picture and asked if he would do something similar for me, for Jamie.
The result is below. I couldn't have been more pleased.
See from the sides and back below. It really pulled together his whole "wedding" look.
It is an amazing work of art. I was so pleased with how this wig turned out that as I had asked Chewin to recreate something similar to Jamie's Paris clothing, I also asked him to add a Paris inspired wig. I sent the picture below as one of my inspiration photos.
And below was the resulting wig and suit.
At this point I was so pleased by how the first 2 "Jamie" commissioned wigs had turned out that I asked Chewin to do yet one more wig for my EID Jamie, a casual curly style more reminiscent of how Jamie wore his hair in S1 of the show.
The result, a little curlier than show Jamie maybe, but I still like it.
In 2017 when I decided to shell Jamie in the smaller FID size, Chewin was one of my first emails to set up a commission for his wig. Result below. It is a little fuller than the larger one, but I like the look of it on mini Jamie a lot. I may just have to add a Paris style wig for mini Jamie as well...……………….and I also see the promos for S5 of the show picture Jamie with no bangs and a queued style. Hmmmm………...










2 comments:

  1. No doubt about it, Chewin is a genius both in tailoring and in making wigs. Wigging Jamie has been problemmatic for me, too. I tried making a wig myself--it was a spectacular fail--and ended up using a red mohair wig with pigtails that I gathered together to make a queue. It wasn't half bad but now that another doll has claimed the wig, "Jamie" is posing as an elf instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been brave enough to attempt making wigs myself. My biggest challenge with the smaller dolls especially, is finding a great wig. Almost all my FID/Raccoon sized male dolls have Chewin wigs. My Elf Kai from Raccoon might be the only exception. I almost hesitate to get a sculpt he doesn't have in the smaller size, as I'm afraid I won't be able to find an appropriate wig! The bigger dolls are a bit easier, but for something as specific as Jamie's wedding or Paris hairstyles I was lucky Chewin could do them for me, as they are more "styled" than what is available from the various wig manufacturers and heaven knows I'm not one to be able to do the styling myself.

      Delete